“Did you know that … ”
- Kandeh Yumkella is currently the Chairman of UN Energy as well as the Special Representative of the UN Secretary General on the Sustainable Energy for All initiative and is the former Director-General of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)?
- He was recently appointed to the Japanese Council of Eminent Persons and Experts?
- He is a development expert and Former Assistant Professor with extensive research and teaching experience in agribusiness management and international agricultural development and trade?
- He was Minister for Trade, Industry and State Enterprises in Sierra Leone, with experience in trade, commerce and industrial policy formulation, implementation and monitoring of economic reform programs?
- He was elected to two consecutive terms as Director-General of the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO) to promote industrial development for poverty reduction, inclusive globalization and environmental sustainability around the world?
Kandeh Yumkella is also a member of global leadership and consensus building platforms:
- Member, World Economic Forum, Global Agenda Council on Climate Change, 2010-current.
- Member, China International Council on Cooperation for Environment and Development (CICCED), Chaired by the Vice Premier of China, 2010-current.
- Member, Advisory Group on the Human Development Index, 2012.
- Member, Advisory Group of the International Peace Institute, Vienna Branch, 2011-current.
- Member of the European Resource Efficiency Platform (ERE), 2012.
|Kandeh Yumkella’s Awards, Honors and Recognition
Kandeh Yumkella’s contribution to youths in Sierra Leone
Under his leadership in UNIDO, his organization has supported the establishment and rehabilitation of eleven Industrial Growth Centres in:
Binkolo, Bo, Gbendembu, Kamakwie, Kambia, Koindu, Konta Line, Kpandebu, Newton, Pujehun and Rotifunk with the Bo Centre being the largest of all.
The Growth Center facilities will help to create new jobs for the youth, develop their entrepreneurship and technical skills, and contribute to the growth of local industries across Sierra Leone.
Kandeh Yumkella’s contribution to his village Kychum in the Kambia District in Sierra Leone
Kychum, is thriving to become one of the most modern villages in Sierra Leone with solar energy panels in clinics, solar lamps for homes and night school, solar mobile charging stations, biomass power station that is powered with rice husk.
Dr Yumkella has also upgraded the educational system and opportunities, especially for girls in his village community in Sierra Leone.
Kandeh Yumkella is one of the best patriots of Sierra Leone who puts the interest of the country above everything
His personal philosophy transcends regional, ethnic and political boundaries and is a global unifier.
He believes we must endeavor to support our governments because if they succeed, our people will prosper and if they fail, we all suffer.
He believes that a leader’s role is to define the vision, build the enabling conditions to achieve the key goals, and establish a team to help execute the strategies.
He believes that just as Sierra Leoneans helped the former President of Sierra Leone, Tejan Kabba, consolidate peace after the war, all Sierra Leoneans must also help to build universities, skyscrapers or technology centers.
Kandeh Yumkella firmly believes Sierra Leoneans must work together as a team to take the country to the next level.